Welcome to the Highlifeturntable. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for people to listen to rare highlife music from Ghana and Nigeria. I plan to post tracks from my private collection along with a little commentary on what I know about the artist and what I like about the LP.


Saturday, January 5, 2013

T.O. Jazz Band - Skanophone records - Obi yE wo bcne a faky3 no





















For the next selection on the highlife turntable, I have selected the track Obi yE wo bcne a faky3 no by the T.O. Jazz band off a 1976 release by Skanophone records.

I've posted other T.O. Jazz tracks in the past and am always on the lookout for music by this artist.  Skanophone records was based in London and this was their third release.  It appears from the playlist to be  either a compilation of existing tracks, as I recognized a number of tracks, or may have been a new release.  Either way there was some material I had not seen.  The song titles were also in the Ghanaian Cyrillic script.  Perhaps this is a clue to the type of highlife music being played.  I also really liked the detailed map on the cover.

The song has a beautiful opening and the lyricism of the lead vocals and chorus really made this song a solid winner for me.  Check out the nice guitar playing around the 2.50 mark.  I hope you like it.

Happy New Year from the highlifecave.

Ubulujaja

2 comments:

  1. sorry this tune does not work ~ love TO Jazz
    good 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean you did not like the tune or you could not play it?

    ReplyDelete