Welcome to the Highlifeturntable. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for people to listen to rare highlife music from Ghana and Nigeria. I plan to post tracks from my private collection along with a little commentary on what I know about the artist and what I like about the LP.


Sunday, May 18, 2014

King Akido and His Minijis International of Port - Harcourt

.




















For the next selection on the highlife turntable, I have selected the track Owa Qeme aka Mulugo by King Akido and His Minijis International of Port Harcourt.

There was no information about the band, but the horn playing and the vocals really stand out for me. The song starts with a shout out to Port Harcourt and I think they are saying something about "our way".   Punchy and upbeat, the song has several excellent horn blasts and a great guitar line.  Check out the horn section around the 3.30 mark again at the 4.30 mark.    The record was released in 1977.  The song is classified as a Calabari highlife.

Let me know if anyone out there has any additional information.

I hope you like

Ubulujaja








No comments:

Post a Comment