Welcome to the Highlifeturntable. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for people to listen to rare highlife music from Ghana and Nigeria. I plan to post tracks from my private collection along with a little commentary on what I know about the artist and what I like about the LP.


Saturday, December 9, 2017

Bob Fred - KeKaji Okwu Me























For the next selection on the highlife turntable I have selected the track Kekaji Okwu Me by Bob Fred off the 1989 Muzivision release Ezi-Oyo Special

I have posted other tracks by Bob Fred.  One of the stalwarts of the Ukwauni highlife scene he played guitar on the seminal Rogana Ottah recording Ukwauni Special released in 1976 and had a long and prolific career as a sideman and leader. 

Laid back but poignant, the song opens with a nice muted horn solo and then the interplay between the drowsy vocals and down tempo guitar lines propel the song forward as it meanders over 8 1/2 minutes.  There are several nice stretches. Listen to the cadence of Bob Fred's voice and the way the horns really accentuate the flow of the song.

What makes this recording interesting to me is the rhythm and warmth of Ukwauni music is still fresh and emotive even 13 years down the line.  Its a tribute to Bob Fred's mastery of the form

I hope you like it

No comments:

Post a Comment