Welcome to the Highlifeturntable. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for people to listen to rare highlife music from Ghana and Nigeria. I plan to post tracks from my private collection along with a little commentary on what I know about the artist and what I like about the LP.


Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Ugbo and his philosophers band - Udianorakhara























For the next selection on the highlife turntable I have selected the track Udianorakhara by Ugbo and his philosophers dance band.

I am not a big Edo music fan, but the first great African song I remember listening to when I first started collecting was Iyesogie by the great Edo performer Ugbo.  The cadence of the vocals and the downtempo effect of the music just killed me and showed me there could be a complexity and depth to African music that I never imagined.

 As I moved onto to other forms of highlife I still collected music by Ugbo, but nothing rivaled Iyesogie until I came across this song.  It is a slow ballad.  The pace/cadence of the vocals and the way they play against the stripped down music really give this song its heart and soul.  One can really hear the sense of introspection and lament in the song.  I think it is quite beautiful and reminds me of what attracted me to Edo music in the first place.  I hope you like it

Ubulujaja




1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, and I usually go for the peppy numbers! Hypnotic. Beautiful blog! Thank you for all you do here.

    ReplyDelete