Welcome to the Highlifeturntable. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for people to listen to rare highlife music from Ghana and Nigeria. I plan to post tracks from my private collection along with a little commentary on what I know about the artist and what I like about the LP.


Sunday, November 23, 2014

George L.W. Pepple and his Formby Band - Cyrid Ohonuka






















For the next selection on the highlife turntable, I have selected the track Cyrid Ohonuka by the George L.W. Pepple and his Formby Band.

This is an Ibo highlife tune from 1977.  There was no information about the performer or the members of the band, but I believe the word Ohonuka means Thank God.  Craig Taylor and Uchenna Ikonne raised the possibility that the Formby band name maybe a tribute to an English Ukelele player George Formby, who was extremely popular in the 30's and 40's in England and Nigeria.

Lately, I have been coming across a lot of this type of music and really enjoying it.  I like the way the drums open up the song and the languid pace of the interplay between the ethereal vocals and guitar playing throughout the song.  Also check out the two great horn breaks at the 4.10 and 8.40 mark.   I found it a very enjoyable piece.  I hope you like it.

Please let me know if anyone knows anything more about this band or the style of music.

Ubulujaja

No comments:

Post a Comment