Welcome to the Highlifeturntable. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for people to listen to rare highlife music from Ghana and Nigeria. I plan to post tracks from my private collection along with a little commentary on what I know about the artist and what I like about the LP.


Friday, July 24, 2015

O.P.K and F.K. - Abraham Medley























For the next selection on the highlife turntable I have selected the track Abraham by O.P.K off a Pan American release O.P.K is back again.

Recorded at Ambassador records in Ghana there is no information on the liner notes about the performers except a note that all tunes were written by O.P.K and F.K.  Part of me wants to believe that F.K. is F. Kenya, but I have no way of knowing although the lead vocalist does sound like him.

The medley takes up all of side 1.  The vocals are sharp and are carried along by a guitar rhythm has that laid back psychedelic Ghanaian back beat that was the hallmark of all the great Ghanaian bands of the late 70's. I was also grooving on the nice percussion work in the background.   I've been playing it alot lately.  I hope you like it.

Let me know if you can identify who F.K. and O.P.K.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Michael, I am a 21 year old from Australia. I am completely head over heels for highlife music. Jerry Hansen - Highlife medley is my favourite but everything is so good. Would cherish the chance to get some mp3 files off you or at least learn more from you. Will keep a constant eye on this blog.
    feel free to email me at marcus.kim.pedersen @ gmail.com.
    Regards Marcus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael, I strongly believe F.K. is F.Kenya. As you said, the lead vocalist sounds totally like him. By the way, what a beautiful track!!! It's been a while I didn't visit your blog... I guess all the tunes I have to discover will make my afternoon.

    ReplyDelete