Welcome to the Highlifeturntable. The purpose of this blog is to provide a way for people to listen to rare highlife music from Ghana and Nigeria. I plan to post tracks from my private collection along with a little commentary on what I know about the artist and what I like about the LP.


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sonny Oti - Highlife Music in West Africa

I found this super book about highlife on Amazon that came out in 2009. It has a number of interviews with important highlife performers and discusses the evolution of highlife music from a format where musicians were mere entertainers and nerve therapists to one where they became African town-criers whose song-texts became a reflection of communal messages, warnings and counselling. Very highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Highlife-Music-West-Africa-Sonny/dp/978842208X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264541252&sr=1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment